Why you should consider moving during the summer (and 5 tips to do it)
July 13th, 2021
It’s estimated that over 40 million Americans move each year, and 64% of those who move, do so between the months of May to September. Summer has some clear and obvious benefits as to why it’s often considered the best time of year to move.
For those with families, moving during the summer means no disruption of the school year or daily routine for the children, and, since this is when most people move, this is also the time when there are the most housing options on the market.
Summer is also the most popular season for garage sales which is the perfect way for you to get rid of that extra clutter while making some side cash to help pay for the move; the timing couldn’t be better!
Finally, before you start your summer move, take a few minutes to read through these moving tips!
1. Consider hiring a moving company — If your budget allows for it, you might hire professionals to handle the moving process for you. Is hiring movers a significant expense? It is, but considering the amount of hard work that it will save you, it’s an expense that is worth paying if you can afford it.
2. Pack well in advance of your moving date — Start by packing things that you know you need, but you don’t need right now, like winter clothes, books, or seasonal home decor for example.
3. When moving in the summer you need to be careful with certain items that you put into a moving truck — Small, fragile items can be easily damaged or broken when treated improperly. Other valuables like fine art and musical instruments should also travel with you when possible. These items could be susceptible to damage related to temperature changes or changing weather. You should also consider a climate-controlled storage unit to cut down on your time in the heat.
4. If your schedule allows it, try moving during the week — Moving on weekends is what most people do because it’s convenient. However, you can expect to pay more to rent a moving truck, or to hire movers because the demand is higher. If you are between jobs or have some vacation days, moving in the middle of the week will save you money.
5. Don’t forget to change your address with any companies that you do business with — This isn’t so much a summer moving tip as it is a general moving tip. We suggest informing the post office of your address change at least a month before moving. This will ease your transition to a new place so you won’t have to worry about your mail not showing up. You might consider using a P.O. box for a month or two while you look for the right permanent home for you and your family.
We hope you find these tips useful to make your moving easier this summer. Remember that you can count on us to back you up with our storage solutions and contactless rentals and payments.
Feel free to call your nearest location, we are happy to assist you with any questions or pricing details: ☎️ (435) 213-4710